Southern rock outfit NEEDTOBREATHE has a hugely anticipated new album in the works and just announced their second run of TOUR DE COMPADRES! bringing them out for another round on the road in 2016. It’s gonna be another huge year for the Seneca, South Carolina band. Sibling songwriting duo Bear and Bo Rinehart have been penning rootsy, uplifting tunes together for the better part of the past two decades, and with the help of bassist Seth Bolt and keyboardist Josh Lovelace they’ve led NEEDTOBREATHE to tremendous critical and commercial success (their song “Multiplied” was nominated for a GRAMMY in 2015).
While fans wait with bated breath for the new album to drop, we sat down with NEEDTOBREATHE to talk about the release, their upcoming tour, and their sage advice for overcoming sibling rivalry. Check out the interview below, and mark your calendars for the fan club presale (4/4), Ticketmaster and Live Nation presale (4/11), and general public onsale (4/15).
1. You recently announced your second TOUR DE COMPADRES! What can fans expect when they see you live this year?
TOUR DE COMPADRES was started as an idea to bring our best friends and bands we love on tour with us and create an event that fans don’t want to miss. This year is no different. We have plenty of surprises and fun stuff planned for this one. We’re excited to bring TOUR DE COMPADRES back on the road this summer/fall.
2. You’ve got a number of shows coming up in the US. Are there any cities or venues you’re particularly excited to play?
Touring is fun because you get to see so many parts of the world and meet all kinds of different people. Every city has its “thing”. We’ve been doing this a long time and in some ways feel like we’ve seen it all. The cool thing is cities come alive in different ways each time you visit. We’re really excited to be going back to Red Rocks on this tour. That place is one of our favorite venues in the world.
3. What are your favorite hometown venues or festivals to play in or around South Carolina?
Family Circle in Charleston (now called Volvo Car Stadium), Littlejohn Coliseum at Clemson University, and a bunch of clubs that we played early on in our career that have since shut their doors.
4. Your first TOUR DE COMPADRES included Ben Rector, Switchfoot, Drew Holcomb & the Neighbors, and Colony House. Who will join you in 2016?
We are extremely excited to have Mat Kearney, Parachute, John Mark McMillan, and Welshly Arms joining us this year. We’ve been friends with all these guys for a long time so getting everybody together on one tour is crazy. We can’t wait.
Last but not least, we’re ready to introduce who is kickin’ off the show every night on TOUR DE COMPADRES 2016: https://t.co/naXeoYCXdS
— NEEDTOBREATHE (@NEEDTOBREATHE) March 30, 2016
5. You played an epic show at Red Rocks in Colorado last July that Tidal captured in a mini-doc. What was that experience like?
There’s nothing like Red Rocks. For us, it has always been a dream venue. A lot of the bands we love and respect have played shows there. To walk on that stage in front of a sold out crowd your first time playing there is breathtaking. We can’t wait to go back. Hopefully we won’t be as nervous next time.
6. There’s an emotional moment in the Tidal mini-doc when you explain the beautiful meaning behind the song “Brother” and how it represents love and forgiveness on a very personal level. What piece of advice do you have for fans experiencing sibling rivalry in their own personal lives?
If you have somebody in your life that you’re estranged from, make it right. Life is short.
7. What are three things you must have with you while touring?
Swimming trunks, tennis shoes, golf clubs.
8. Can you share a picture with fans that’s on your phone right now?
This is Seth Bolt, bass player and golfer extraordinaire. We do a golf tournament every year to raise money for One World Health, a nonprofit organization that helps communities achieve long-term improvements in health and quality of life.
This picture was taken at this year’s NEEDTOBREATHE Classic held in Charleston, SC.
9. Admit it. What’s an Emoji you use all the time?
Biceps and fist bumps. 💪 👊
10. Are there any future plans or upcoming projects you’d like to share with fans?
We are releasing our sixth studio album entitled “H A R D L O V E” on July 15th. We’ve been in the studio since October working and are really excited for people to finally hear it. We’re proud of it and hope people dig it.
Don’t miss NEEDTOBREATHE on tour. See when they’re coming to a city near you at Ticketmaster.