Last week we kicked off March Madness by rounding up the top 16 concerts attended by college basketball customers. This week we’re bringing you their Sweet 16 of Musicals–a look at the most popular arts & theater shows among fans who purchased college basketball tickets from Ticketmaster within the past three years.
Some fun factoids and additional statistics from the data:
- Compared to a random sample of ticket buyers, college basketball fans are 62% more likely to have seen The Book of Mormon, 44% more likely to have sung along to Jersey Boys, and 35% more likely to have gotten festive at the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.
- Basketball fans go big for the holidays–three of the 16 top shows are holiday-related, including ’80s cult classic-turned Broadway favorite A Christmas Story: The Musical.
- The Big Apple is king for basketball fans heading to the theater–five of the Sweet 16 were based in NYC.
- Mickey would be proud–three of the productions are from the brilliant imagineers at Disney (Newsies, Aladdin, The Lion King).
- Basketball fans appreciate resilient women–If/Then, Annie, and Wicked all feature a strong female lead.
- Fantasy isn’t just for football–more than 1/3 of the shows popular with basketball fans feature supernatural phenomena like magic, mythical creatures, and talking animals.
All this basketball talk got you in the mood? Head on over to our March Madness ticket guide for more info. And stay tuned–next week we’ll reveal the top comedy shows among college basketball customers.